Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BIG UPDATE

okay so bear with me on this one cause Its going to be chalk full of information and very long cause I've been falling behind on writing.

The reason I've been falling behind is because my name is Nate Secrest and apparently I like to try to do everything and not let people down.  On top of that there are two new groups that I just started to get to know as well as some individuals.  I guess I started falling behind when one day on the way home from school I said hey to another student who I had seen and asked where she was from.  That turned into about an hour talk just talking about what we are doing here (<---- This happens quite often).  I guess talks here seem to just go longer because we are trying to speak both english and spanish some and then at the same time everyone has an extremely interesting story of why they decided to come here.  I've yet to meet a boring person here (except for the drunks who just pester the girls which can be quite frustrating) On a side note when I was walking with a friend this drunk just came up to me and started talking spanish which by the sounds he was making I'm not sure if it was a language.  He also spoke some english too and asked where I was from and I said California (big mistake) cause then he started talking to me even more! We finally go rid of him but it was quite a hassel.  Anyways I started to get busier when I met the new danish students and we all went to the waterfall together and I started hanging out with my new good friend Boris.  Boris if awesome because he plays basketball (also super tall so him and me together are unstopable at least here), he always is looking to improve his spanish, and he is just a funny guy like me and loves having a good time.  Anyways we've been hanging out as well more so that cuts down on my time to do nothing which was pretty small as it is with school and random events like dinners with people, washing clothes, meetings, etc.  I'm not even mentioning the Norwegians which I just started to meet two days ago.  Anyways there also random times throughout a day when I meet someone new like someone from England, Virginia, or somewhere else and we just sit and talk about what they are doing here ( again conversations take a while here).  The important part is though that I'm haveing a BLAST here and I wouldn't give it up for anything except maybe a lifetime supply of ice cream ( but then you might get diabetes or even worse you might start to hate ice cream *sarcasm*).

LAUNRDRY UPDATE! I have conquered most of my clothes but my socks I used while playing soccer on  a dirt field are a lost cause I believe. I'm just going to use them when I practice soccer I guess.  At least its only three pairs.  Well if you would like to hold them in the light that would be awesome (although if you have time to hold my socks in the light you probly should think of something better to do)  My first attempt didn't go well because I didn't scrub enough even though I used launrdry detergent so most didn't get very clean.  But now its been worked out and my stuff is once again semi-clean.

Okay so to update you what I did on my weekend and the days fallowing:
On saturday I slept in and then went over to go play ping pong at franks but it was closed so I went over to Mauricios and practiced some of my spanish.  Then I came home for a bit and rested for about an hour ( I think I watched how i met your mother and another show) and then I went out for Papusas at my new favorite  papusaria which I've been building a relationship with.  After this I went to the Disco a little later that night after skyping with some ppl and the Danes where there again which was cool.  I met them mostly on Friday night at the disco. I also met this guy from San Salvador who works here in suchi and lives here now and his english is quite good. The running joke of the two nights is how much I used the word like when I talk. Yes its sad but I guess one time I said it 20 times in a minute.... Well Sunday was quite a busy day.  I was sad that I couldn't go to my soccer teams game at 1 but I had a meeting I had to be at in Suchitoto.  My team won though! I suppose it also worked out cause I got to go with the danes another time to El Cubo and this time we went with Marvin and he showed me two new paths that I didn't know about which were quite interesting.
After this adventure with the Danes I went to my meeting  where I found out what I'll be doing next week (see bottom) and met some of the students that are starting Franks scholarship program.  After this I went and hung out with Boris some more and we ventured over to the Basketball court on the other side of town where I saw my team coming back from the national stadium cause there was a game there that day.  ( My team won 5-2 btw) Oh and so Boris was impressed cause I knew so many ppl walking to the courts cause I also saw my teacher walking back too.  Anyways we got to the Basketball court where we soon met our new friend Carlos ( yes I know lots of new friends I'm surprised I remember all their names)  who plays basketball and we played him and a friend. We won cause well both of us were taller than their tallest person so it was a bit unfair haha.  We talked to him and figured out another time to play basketball again on Sunday so we'll see him then at least.   Then I went back and had dinner with the Danes at El Gringo where I got a hamburger as usual haha.  Well that was my Pastry day ( ... get it? Danish hahahahahhaha yes I'm related to my dad in case you were wondering)

I've been collecting Mangos here recently from the school cause they have been falling like crazy recently.   Our house has a tree but they aren't ready yet.  I've been finding some pretty decent ones so far even though its not quite the season for them .

Oh right back to what I've been doing.... Monday was Tita's birthday and school and Valentines day ( Happy Valentines everyone!)  We had a party at El Necio with food ( which I love) and it was mostly just an adult party but I hung with some of my new friends like Rodrigo C ( the guy who is from San Salvador)  Then on Tuesday I played some street soccer translated for the Danes ( which I have been doing quite well recently so its been really fun) went to soccer practice ( the Danes came too and played with us ) and then went home and took a shower.  After shower and dinner I went to this restaurant where I heard they play movies every now and then.  We watched the Tourist ( a chickflicky movie with some sweet action scenes kinda) and had a HOT DOG! basically the Hot Dog made my night even though they put a bunch of vegetable stuff on top which I couldn't understand why so I just ate the vegetable stuff first and then the hot dog.  Boris and the two Mias ( ones name is Meu an ones is Mia which is really hard to differentiate.)  came to watch the movie  as well as my new friends from Australia, Virginia (the state) and England.   Over all it was a good time.

Well that about sums up my intense weekend and few days.  I played some street soccer thrown in there and eventually got around to my homework every night but it was quite a push.

Spanish word of the day : Casi - Almost  Mucho Gusto- Nice to meet you Puchica- damn/ crap ( the less swearing way)  guerra- War  Mango- Mango (<---bet you didn't know that one)  Perro caliente- Hot dog
cora-quarter ex. dos por una cora.

-Secrest Afuera!

 

1 comment:

  1. The drunks might have a good story, too, if they were in any condition to tell it, it's just their lives now that are boring and sad. If you think you know better than they do, you could slip them some Antabuse (it's a drug that makes you puke when you drink even a little bit) but that would be mean, and it probably wouldn't help. Try going to an AA meeting to improve your Spanish. Then if they follow you, you can invite them in...

    It occurs to me some of them might have done or seen some horrible things during the war (think El Mozote). A lot of homeless drunks in the US are veterans, too. Sometimes the ones who get killed are the lucky ones!
    ----------- thy dad, Andrew

    ReplyDelete