Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tarde Testimonio

Well today was the day that we went to Honduras... It was very beautiful and the climate and trees reminded me of Yosemite in the highlands. It was quite chilly at times and I really quite enjoyed it. We went up to visit a friend of theirs where they had bought a small piece of property to make a casita for the summers just to come up for a weekend or something and to get away from life. We built a gate for the already made fence they had made on an earlier trip up here. We also finished the table they started the last time too. Overall it was a great experience and the culture of vacationing for Salvadorans is different than my family. They love to have food to eat. I think thats one of the main things with vacations for them. They bring tons of food and eat a lot and rest and talk and just descansar (rest/ sleep/watch the clouds, anything with not much movement involved.

We also went to visit this other community cooperative a little farther down the road in Honduras. We visited their office and dicussed the possible option of coming there on the trip. Its a very cool place and I wore my sweatshirt there in the mid afternoon (probly around 50/60 degrees). I made it pretty clear that I wasn't promising we would go there and that we already have a schedule and I don't know how much of it can be changed but I do like the place as a nice change of pace. The one thing is that from Joquitique its about an hour and a half drive on a dirt road so I'm pretty sure thats the deciding factor on that one but you never know I'll talk it over with Robert and show him my photos of the place. They have very nice places to stay but they aren't with the families (another minus in my book). Overall I really did like the place though and its a nice place to visit if you have the time.

Back on the subject of different vacations I found it odd that there was hardly any together time on this trip. The guys were together most of the time and the women were in the kitchen together but we didn't eat meals together entirely. I'm actually not sure when the women ate. I couldn't tell if it was after or before us but they were working and feeding us while we were eating which I'm not sure I like very much but its the culture and I'll swallow my American views on the subject for now. The trip up there was an hourish ride in the big four wheel vehicle that was very bumpy pretty much the whole time on a dirt, rock, gravel. It was an adventure. I was very happy with my decision to sit in the middle on the way back because my head didn't hit the side or the top of the car when we hit a bump which I rather liked. The scenary was very pretty and I enjoyed it all very much. I've found that Salvadorans are big on HOT food. Not Spicy hot but hot hot like totillas are only good when they are hot, beans (usually hot) , rice (hot), cheese (if it could be hot it would be), coffee (really hot). Cold Sandwiches and a hike for a vacation wouldn't fly with them I'm pretty sure. I've heard they all like to vacation next to water as well. I've never actually seen them go swimming much though so I can't understand why but thats what they love to do. They enjoy their vacationing and I have enjoyed it while I've been here as well so there are no complaints on this end. Simply trying to explain a different culture I'm learning.

Word of the Day: Cabal or Caval- just Central American apparently and its like exactly right or right on. Like when someone asks a question to clarify like “ soooo we are in Honduras now?” respuesta ( answer) -Caval hombre or just Caval. Tobogan- Slide Auacate (awa-cawte)- Avocado

Secrest Afuera!   

No comments:

Post a Comment