Friday, March 11, 2011

El Gigante Adventures

Okay well today has certainly been an interesting day that has just kept getting more and more crazy but I think its done being crazy for now since I'm home an writing but I think I have an English lesson later today so we'll see how that goes. At some point today I felt like a complete Gringo but there really are some things that are unavoidable and you need to learn the hard way.

Well today I woke up at 5 because Chamba said that we were going to start our day then. Well it didn't seem like anybody was up then so I just went back to bed cause it was still dark and set my alarm for half an hour later. Well half an hour later I heard people starting to get up but I didn't want to so I kinda slept in a little bit till 6 then I got up and they gave me coffee and bread and then I thought we were going to go do something but nothing really materialized an we were just waiting around till Breakfast around 8. I felt at home though because it was actually cold enough to be a little chilly in my jeans, and hoodie which felt sooooo nice (not the being cold part but you know being able to wear other things besides shorts and a tee shirt). Anyways we left after breakfast to go see the cooperative building office which was pretty nice. It was the other way from Perkin which was cool and way up the hill (like everything in Morezan it feels like). I looked around and eventually used a bit of internet there from their computer while Chamba was working on something. We left at like 930 and when we got back instantly started to get ready to go see the bees and crops so I was kinda surprised because for some reason they had a plan they didn't tell me exactly. So we drove to the “fika” or farm thing whatever its called and we toured around a bit. It took a really long time to drive there which I was surprised cause I didn't remember it being that long but it was like a good 20 mins in a car maybe 30. So then we did some bee stuff and I helped them carry stuff and then they said I was gonna go hang out with a friend of theirs while they did the bees which I tried to say I could help with the bees but I later found out that I'm very glad I didn't help because it was really hot in the middle of the day in a hot bee suit and on top of that the bees are angry haha.

So I went over to this guys little hut which was really nice. He had a hut with a hammock and a bed thing and it was quite cool when the breeze blew in which was nice. I laid in the hammock and I think dozed off for about an hour... Waking up early is hard and I don't get in those good long hours. Then we went on an adventure which chamba had mentioned a waterfall which I never actually saw one but I think it might have been because I fell asleep we kinda changed plans. Anyways we hiked up most of the way which really turned me around because we arrived back in El Gigante in like 45 mins which I was pretty sure that the drive was mostly uphill but somehow its uphill both ways. But we suddenly appeared back in the town and I was like wow that was short.

Oh the part that was interesting was they had warned me to be careful when they were doing the bees and not walk close to them but we had to walk kinda close in order to get to the road we needed to. So we were walking and these angry bees flying really fast buzzed into my hair so I tried to brush it away like you normally do with bees (Mistake! Because these are already angry bees and they call their friends). At one point I had like 4 bees in my hair and two buzzing around my arms but I only ended up with 2 stings ( I think maybe an extra on my head not sure). Soooo essentially I got lucky but it could have ended worse than it did. They stopped hurting now though so I'm fine. They just are kinda irritating when you get them. So yes when the people that warn you to be careful about bees are people that work with bees you should listen to them... although looking back it was mostly instinct that I swated at the first one and then it just progressed from there but I did pretty well considering. Oh and the friend that walked with me had a machette about half the size of his body (which isn't huge to start with but still) He was really cool actually and he sleeps up in his field at his little house to protect against lizard creatures that attack his crops (and I'm not making that up haha). He fought in the war and stuff but we didn't do a whole lot of talking because I was tired, had been stung, and most of all who wants to talk when you are hiking up a steep hill and are already out of breath to start with haha.

Yesterday was a fun day as well because it absolutely poured down rain in the night and I watched some soccer on tv which was fun and enjoyed the pouring down rain which I really love the sound of here even though when it pours this hard a few drops make it through the roof ( I don't know how and believe me I looked) They just got a new machine for grinding corn and coffee instead of using someone elses machine I think.

Words: Picar (sting) abeja (bee) Salu (see ya) desarrollar ( develop) vaya- command but also used in the form of (okay got it) va (also okay used the same as vaya) temprano – early tarde- afternoon or late Tomar- to take and to drink ( more to take and drinks kinda like to take a drink) Caer – instead of the “water is running” the “agua esta caendo (sp?)” 

No comments:

Post a Comment