Sunday, March 13, 2011

Siesta Synapse

 Wow today has been an interesting day. We had a meeting for the cooperative in El Gigante all morning and I survived about two hours of and the second hour I understood about 2 percent because I was just too tired to think and I was thinking about projects in the future and what I want to do in other communities and what I can do while I'm still here etc. I came up with a few projects in El Bario like I want to fix the basketball court and paint a court and fix the backboards too and maybe build a wall ball court if I get really ambitious. I also want to help teach typing because I have the skill and can teach it and its especially useful in this day and age. I also thought about going to visit the house of College students and staying for a night to see what they do and stuff. I met a few at the meeting (we started talking because we were all really hungry cause the meeting went on really long) I got in a really interesting conversation with a student who is studying to be an enfermera (nurse) and I asked about visiting classes with her since its on a subject that I like which I think would be much more interesting to listen to.

So after the meeting we had bread and coffee which was very nice. I also started to rain in the afternoon which is really odd and doesn't happen often but I mostly rested for the afternoon because it was raining. I don't know what happened but I was showing the kids my computer games and for some magical reason Monopoly worked for the first time on this computer and so I played it some and then it suddenly shut off and didn't give an error message when the kids had gone after a little while. So I relaxed for a bit and did that and then in the late afternoon I went out to use the internet at a nearby hotel which they let me do for free since its my computer but I bought a soda to be nice and cause I miss soda sometimes.

I was checking facebook when a lady I met in El Salvador had posted on my wall and asked if I was coming back to Suchi soon. We talked and I invited her to come to the school I will work at in El Bario. I then found out that she is getting married to the bar tender Jesus in Suchitoto in May and I'm invited to come. So.... I was pretty shocked by this and still couldn't understand how or when this happened but it did explain her profile picture I had been wondering about. So she and my friend Boris showed up on chat and we started talking about my trip to Guatemala (with Boris) and getting married and how it happened and what she is going to do ( with Angie). Apparently she is going to move to suchi in April so that makes it good because she will probly visit and maybe even help me in some of my projects at the school like help talk and teach the English teacher there and other things I can't just do all myself cause I don't have the time. So we talked until my computer was about to die and then I had to go but I'm excited about this new opportunity for her and what she will encounter. A small part of me wonders if she is rushing into this and things could happen when they move to the US but thats just from stories I've heard and every case is different.

Then I came back and had the most interesting meal I've had in my time here in El Salvador. I asked later about it and it turns out I was right... We had MAC AND CHEESE! Well it was spaghetti but still it tasted pretty much exactly the same although it was kinda weird at first cause I didn't believe what it was.

Then after that I went and gave an English lesson in the library with about 6 students including Rafael who is really good and I'd like to have an individual conversation with him more often because he can really speak well just his pronunciation needs some work but I can understand him fine. Many of the people hear are very good at English at least the group of them that were here tonight were very good. Some like usual didn't want to talk much but they were intelligent with their questions which was nice. I kinda felt like I was just saying things they already knew but I guess any review is good and we worked on pronunciation. Overall today was an amazing day and I hope that the rain stops so I can get out and explore more during the day. But! I did get to read some more of my Marla Ruzicka Book which was good for me since I'm horrible about starting to read. Its been raining a lot recently for Summer here so I don't know what it is. I think its me and where ever I go I just bring the rain to me.

Words: Bastante – a lot, tons, colmena- bee community thingy, lima- sharp (mas o menos) Por lo menos – At least, patita- the word you say when talking to the parrot and you put your finger out for it to stand on... “de vera” - really? Seriously? Cargar- to charge like charging a computer. Ratito- short time or short game. Raritito- even shorter game/ time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment