Monday, March 21, 2011

Sweet San Miguel Migration among other things

Today was the reunion with all the representatives of the communities... I was very pleased with myself
because I was able to communicate about a million times better than I could at the first reunion. I also liked this reunion because it was actually about me more than the other one was so I could actually help decided and give my opinion on the subject. The rest of the day turned out to be nice as well because I was actually able to skype with my parents which I didn't think I could do with just a USB internet card thing. I got to talk with them and they helped me figure out my life (which is very complicated at the moment with being in El Salvador and trying to get settled with college next year and applications for summer jobs and planning the summer when I get back home and talking about things I'm doing here that I need to communicate to the people in the US like about Salu Miel and hammocks and such. For instance the community in El Gigante has bee colonies where they make a ton of organic honey but they are looking for more people to buy it. They also have this product called salu miel (miel is honey) which is like a preventive suplement thing that keeps you healthy. I'm bad at explaining it but its pretty cool stuff. Anyways I'll make a separate post about that later.

As for now I would like to talk about the crazy (crazy isn't a strong enough word but I promised Oscar I wouldn't cus on my blog. Love you brother haha! ) day I've had today.
The bus adventure was like three stories in one and I'm sooooooooo thankful that I had someone with me to show me the way because I most definitely would have gotten lost. Anyways so the adventure started in Joquitique where we walked to the bus stop where there were also motor taxis which are like the cars that are in all the movies about india. They are little three wheeled electric ( I think) cars that are open on both sides and fit about two people in the back seat. We didn't ride those but I figured I should mention them... I got on the bus and the adventure began. First it was pretty normal except for it being super crowded as we got to San Francisco. There were candy salesmen and women with not just candy and pretty much anything you can think of to buy like watermelon, mango, cashews, and a bunch of other stuff that most of it I can't tell what it is half the time. Of course there are also drink vendors. They walk down the middle isle squeezing past everyone because everyone is pretty well packed into the bus around halfway there. Then about half way there a blind guy with a guitar comes on the bus and stands in the isle and plays a song and sings. This caught me completely by surprise cause I thought he was just getting on the bus to ride it. Well the first thought was why isn't anyone standing up for him to give him a seat... and then he started playing and I figured that out but most people didn't pay much attention to him. Some people gave him some money after he was done but not a whole lot and I think he got off in San Francisco but I can't remember. After that we went to a gas station and a person dressed as a clown came on the bus. He started to tell jokes and did a few tricks and all of it was just plain crazy idk how else to describe it. I've never seen anything like this on a bus ever in my life but I'm pretty sure this is a normal occurrence because many people seemed disinterested like they've seen this thing a million times. They were definitely not as surprised as me even though I didn't let it show. I'm kinda curious about my next bus adventure and if it will be as interesting as this was I'm guessing it could be but this was one of the more interesting buses to say the least.

Then we took two other buses to get to the house which is where I am now. The second one was playing a movie like Vampires suck or scary movie where they just make fun of a bunch of movies all at the same time. I caught some of it where they were making your mama jokes but other than that I didn't really want to pay attention to it. They had the guys from 300 in it and I think there was a plot but there never really is with those kinds of movies. Then we took a mini bus a few blocks where we walked to the house which was really close. The house is what I would expect a college house to be like I guess. I wasn't expecting it to be super clean or have tons of food so its pretty normal in my mind. I was surprised when I went to open a cabinet under the count and the whole door came off with it. I played it cool though and just put the door back in place before clelia came back into the room. Clelia was laughing and I think she might have been a bit embarrassed that my first bus experience was this crazy. I think she just wanted it to end and I know this isn't the first time this happened but I would like to ask how often people like this come on the bus. I've heard of joke tellers too which I think would be a pretty cool job but I'm very happy with my decision to go to college as well.

Well so the update for today is I couldn't go visit classes because its a private section of the university and they don't allow visitors. I also found out that if I could have visited classes all they are doing is taking finals haha so its not that exciting I guess. I did have a good time in San Migel though. I rested for the morning while everyone was at classes and played games and then in the afternoon when jazmin came back I took her out to lunch to talk about school and just get to know her better. We went to Pizza hut which has somehow miraculously turned into a sit down restaurant here in El Salvador. I didn't really care about the price cause I'm only in San Migel one day but I think the lunch was a little less than 20 dollars but totally worth it... don't get me wrong I'm really enjoying the traditional food here quite a lot but when I get a chance to eat something different when I know that for the next weeks I'll be eating the normal I think thats when you jump on that opportunity. We had lunch and had a really fun conversation about school, my life back home, differences, my spanish always seems to come up because I use spanglish words sometimes when I don't know the word and about half the time it works so its good to try but it leads to many good laughs. I've also gotten to the point where I can make jokes and be pretty much the same person I am in English as I am in Spanish which I really love.
I also forgot how nice it is to have a discussion with someone whos at the same point in life as you. Those two factors made my conversation with Yazmin that much more meaningful. I love to talk with Adults and kids but Adults sometimes don't know the technology or especially here they had such a different life with the war its hard to relate and with kids its hard to understand them sometimes and they aren't quite at my level of interests yet.

After lunch we wandered back and I had good conversations with Mercedes, Eric, Yazmin and Clelia about different topics like school, photos of me, their interests, what they think they'll do after college etc. I think I'll leave you all with the comment that is really hot here but I'm actually glad for a change in the weather although my sweatshirt will once again become my pillow for this leg of my journey.

-Secrest Afuera!

No comments:

Post a Comment