Sunday, January 30, 2011

Siesta Synapse

Today has been a good day so far.  It started off kinda scary when I woke up at 8 and then fell back a sleep. That wasn't the scary part though. Then I had a dream that I missed meeting and I was mad at myself for missing it then my alarm went off at 1030 and I got up and went to meeting haha so crisis averted.

Yesterday ended up really fun as well and I learned quite a few cultural things or at least formed questions that can be answered.  We won our soccer game and I played really well.  I scored a goal and had good passing, touches etc.  I think they were pretty impressed and the coach is a teacher at pajarao flor who I hung out with later that night and he was saying that I was welcome to play with his team anytime. So that was another big plus. I also really liked the jersey they gave me to wear so after the game I asked if before I leave for the states could I buy a jersey off them and they said I could so thats also good.  See my day is just full of good things.  Well I'll try to balance it out I guess.  During the game I bruised my shin pretty bad on some guys leg and so going down hills and stairs fast is pretty painful.  If only they made something in soccer to protect your shins.... quizas voy a inventar alguno para esto. (sarcasm just in case you were wondering). After 90 mins the game ended at 5-2 it was a pretty big blowout but they really stepped it up in the last half  so it was a good game.  I had an awesome time playing and once again I made a good showing for American soccer and for my parents genetics is suppose)
My teacher forgot to come to the game and as I was walking home her door was open so I sat and watched part of a movie and told her she missed out (which she did).  Anyways then I went 4 doors down to my place and we had dinner and I hung out and talked with friends and family on skype and facebook for a bit. Later that night I went to the Disco where I thought there wasn't gonna be anyone I knew but it turned out that william and some guys from the japanese team were there so I started hanging out and speaking spanish with them it was pretty fun.  My teacher estefani was also there and dancing most of the night.  It was quite different than what I expected and I can't quite explain the culture of it cause I don't really know but this I think was one of the first dances where there were probly 2 to 1 guys to girls and yet it was all partner dancing.  Most of the guys ( like me) just hung out and talked and listened to music and danced every now and then so it worked out.  The whole partner dancing is also quite different cause even when they were playing electronic music or rap ppl still danced like salsa or something with their partner which I can't explain. Pretty much this dance was a whole new world for me cause there weren't many groups of ppl, just partners. And everyone of different ages were dancing with each other like it didn't mean anything.   But overall i would say that I had an amazing night and on top of that I met some new friends and became better friends with others for example William.  I think after this week I will really start to have a reputation around here so that will be nice. It kinda sucks not knowing ppl very well cause you don't have anyone that you can just hang with and watch a movie or walk around town with it always has to be something fun like the disco.

To sum up my day today I finished with Laundry and after dinner I'll do my homework for tomorrow morning.  Laundry... lets just say that I really have a new found appreciation for washing machines and soap after doing my laundry.  Its sooo much work to wash everything by hand especially socks. They always get really dirty on the bottom and you have to scurb them quite a lot to get them clean.  two pairs of my socks are hopless cause I played soccer in them before I bought soccer socks so they are quite brown but I'll just use them when I go play soccer again or for work projects.

It was nice to talk to Barbara C today on skype! I enjoyed her question of what is my favorite thing about being here and my least favorite thing and I think my least favorite thing is missing my friends but most of all not having old friends that I can hang out with. I enjoy meeting new ppl but its a lot of work to be constantly building relationships instead of having that friend who you just call up and say hey lets hang out and hanging out means doing pretty much nothing and just playing computer or watching a movie and laughing with each other.  Also its tough to not have a phone so I'm seriously considering getting one and having one just to call up ppl and be like what are you doing...?  One of the best things about being here is that I'm constantly learning and experiencing new things that I wouldn't do in the states.  I've tried new things, met new ppl and my most important favorite thing about being here is the fact that I get to have this oppertunity to practice my spanish and get better and by the time I go back I know that I'll be able to speak a ton better and pretty close to fluent  I think.
Well its time to go start dinner which will be grilled egg sandwhiches with vegetables like avocado and tomatoes.   Adios!

Oh and word of the day is  "a cerca de" = about  and also ambos= both

Secrest afuera!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. There is indeed a cultural difference, but their dances may be more like what we were used to pre 1970s.

    Buena suerte con el idioma. Espero que aprendas muy rapido. (imagine the accent over the a in rapido.)

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete