Saturday, January 29, 2011

Siesta Synapse

Okay well I've recently learn a whole bunch of crazy stuff about El Spanish culture, El Salvador and in general that I will try to share with you.   The funniest is that I call this post a Siesta Synapse which apparently a Siesta means nap not just resting in the afternoon.  Apparently you have to be sleeping according to my teacher ( which she doesn't know ANYthing haha) sorry for the sarcasm I'm a young adult I can't help it its too much fun.

They other thing I learned was that they have this really awesome fruit/ nut thing that they call a maranion which they described to me and said it has a big samilla (seed) on top and they take off the seed and eat the fruit etc but I had honestly never seen anything like it before in my life and the taste is crazy cause its extremely juicy but the aftertaste makes your throat feel a bit dry which is weird cause its mostly juice.  Anyways I googled it (googlear its gonna be a verb soon its on the commertials haha) and found out that in english we call it a Cashew fruit? WTF? I had no Idea cashews were attached to an apple looking thing before they were harvested.  It blew my mind....

The other thing I tried yesterday was a snow cone but they don't call it a snow cone they call it something else that I can't remember at the moment. Anyways the point is that my teachers favorite flavor is chile and lime which is the exact opposite of why I eat snow cones.  I eat them to be refreshed and have something sweet when its hot but apparently everyone here really likes sour things so thats the norm.  Well I still have been using their ingredients to make my own dishes like I make a sweet grilled cheese (also known as a egg cheese sandy by someone not very cool ;) ) but I found out that I was making it with melting cheese that is only used for papusas. but I like it.  It kinda tastes like monteray jack but sharper? idk how to describe it really. I also have a papaya in the fridge which I think i'll have some for lunch which will be exciting.   I've been learning a lot of words this week but I really want to step up my game and do some studying of my words so they will stick better.

Soon I think I'll start watching tele novelas and other stuff.  Next week I have mostly morning classes I think which will be nice cause it won't be so tiring and then I can go take a nap after haha.
OH and I tried a donut here and it was one of the most delecious donuts of my life.  it had chocolate and nuts on it (possibly the cashew fruit who knows!)

My new goal is to ask many questions about culture to figure it out.  I'm to the point where i can understand if ppl go slow and can use multiple words if I get stuck on one.  I've been teaching Estefani some of the culture in the states cause her mom lives there.  Culture is kinda a funny thing though cause you don't really realize its there until you are in a different one and ppl wonder what the hell you are doing.  Like plugging in your ipod and walking to school..... UNHEARD of! haha that stupid american (me) well anyways I try to say good morning to most ppl but as most of you know I'm def not a morning person.  If I could grunt my way through the first half of the day I would haha.

Well lets see today I have a soccer game with the spanish school team that I picked up with and the japanese spanish students.  I'm playing with the Salvadorans.  I really hope the Japanese students are good but I have a pretty bad feeling about the game... it might be a blowout.   Other than that.... I'm doing okay I seem to have my ups and downs like last night I was missing home more than usaul and feeling down which was probly cause I was sooooo exhausted from the day but overall I'd say it was a good day.  I think what frustrates me the most about my spanish is that somedays I have it and I'm doing well and then an hour later or later that afternoon I can't think of anything to say or remember my words.  And the worst is when it happens to you all you can say is I don't remember or I forgot (olvide' remember that kids (ninos) ) so I feel like they just think you don't know but in reality you are just having a lapse in any brain function at all.  I'm amazed at those times I can still walk straight sometimes.  Its wierd cause sometimes your brain just shuts off and then sometimes you can get it to come back on but its hard.

I'm excited to try to teach science and math in the schools cause from asking questions to Estefani about science and math she doesn't really know much about biology (then again thats my strong suit and she can speak english really well.)  Btw I think there is an exception to the joke rule of : English majors are kinda useless) they aren't that useless in foriegn countries but still I like to joke with Estefani cause she couldn't find Ireland when I told her it was close to Englatera. But yeah I think thats enough for now I'm excited to try teaching some I think I'll be a good teacher.  Dominguez or Dave or Kelly if you are reading this and want to post or send some teaching materials/advice in spanish to me? that would be awesome.  you can also send it in english too if you want

-Secrest Afuera!

No comments:

Post a Comment