Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nate's life

Today is extremely hot. I guess I like it but the afternoons are tough when there isn't a breeze. I think I must have said the right words because the breeze just started... Lately I've been changing my schedule around. I really enjoy Fridays. Friday has been my day to meet up with old friends I met in my first month in Suchi. Yesterday I played basketball for two hours and then went and had an excellent dinner with my worldly friends. We have one English, one Australian, me and two Salvadoran. This dinner we also had 3 Danes and 1 Norwegian. We all get along really well and the conversation rapidly switches from Spanish to English. We all speak well in both so the language usually tends to be what culture we are talking about. I'm the youngest one and the American so.... I get made fun of but its all in a joking way so I'm cool with it.

I've started changing things at the school and I have some good projects in mind. Today I'll be working on finding free computer games to download. The majority will hopefully be educational. My other project is rebuilding the basketball hoop. When I was playing basketball yesterday my friend Carlos said he would talk to a PE teacher who donated the nets and hoops in Suchi. I've found that one of my better skills in networking rather than working all the time. I will start on my project for Apulo today and start getting my donations together. My other project I've been working on is getting others from suchi to volunteer at my school. Angie is living here for a few months after me so I'm working on setting her up so she could help two days a week. Maddy, my Australian friend, is going to visit on Monday. I'm excited to see what she thinks and how she wants to help. The PE equipment is working but not entirely working at the same time. It turns out that the basketballs were really old and after just one day of use one popped and two are about the pop. My basketball that I donated is good but it has a slow leak. The soccer balls are doing well but I'm trying to work out a system to share them all fairly. I think I will assign one ball to each class if I can.

My schedule has changed recently. In order to accomplish my projects like computers and basketball I've stopped giving regular PE classes. I've decided that I'll be traveling to Apulo for two days a week to visit and to give individual and group classes. I'll be helping with Math and English. One of the reasons I've decided to not have many classes of PE is because its been extremely hot. After two classes of PE in the morning my energy is just shot. The other reason is that I'm not an official teacher so I can't force participation. The problem became that I wasn't teaching a whole class because many would go back to their class and run away and sit on the side and not participate. Its been interesting to see what little respect some students have for school authorities. Its more obvious with me because I'm much younger and they know I'm not going to be here forever. Because of this I've decided the focus more on things that will last.

These last few days has been the season for bugs. There have been about a billion flies all around the house. One day me and Yosa spent like an hour killing the ones on the table and then the next day they were all back. At night there are also little nat things that look like baby mosquitoes but don't bite. They just fly around the light a bunch. I made mistake one night of leaving my light on after Mario turned the main light on. In about 3 seconds all the bugs had flown into my room. I turned on the outside light to draw them out but it only half worked. During the night I got to listen to the sound of mini bugs flying close to my ear. Luckily, I was tired so it wasn't a big deal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment