Monday, April 18, 2011

One of my long overdue posts

Yesterday I had two amazing adventures (I'll leave you hanging for a little bit and then tell you) So anyways, just so you guys feel more connected to Salvadorans both groups of guys like to make inappropriate jokes every now and then. Sorry girls I don't know if its true for you but I'm gonna guess that you are pretty similar to them too. The one thing I also have yet to mention about El Salvador is the television. I've actually been following the NCAA basketball tournament here so its been fun to listen to the sports announcers pronounce the names with a Spanish accent. They have ESPN too here and I've heard they have their office in Argentina. Its totally different than ESPN in the US because they usually only show soccer and big events like the basketball tournament haha. The other thing thats totally different is for commercials and tv shows they have so much less restrictions for what they can show. For example, when I was in Morezan a tv show that was on at about 3 in the afternoon was about finding three guys a girl they liked from all the different horoscopes. During this show where they asked some questions one of the challenges was to dance around a chair and then sit down and pour water on themselves. I'm not going to go into more detail and I think for Dominguez I might have already crossed the line so sorry Oscar but I didn't cus!

So my first adventure yesterday was traveling to Soyapango for the afternoon to help with a service project... Digging Holes! I actually enjoyed it all though who knows why we decided to have our service project at 1 pm in the middle of a super hot day. I got a few blisters but they'll heal soon enough. I had fun using the iron poles they use to break up the dirt. We were digging holes for fence posts that they are going to put in. Part of the adventure was we got to ride in the back of a pick up there and back. I got to listen to music, joke with the other people in the pick up and yell buenas tardes to a few random people. It actually quite interesting here because somehow word has gotten around that I can sing and so a few people here ask me if its true that I can sing.

The second adventure was going down to the lake and having a fun day playing and swimming with all my friends and students and families. First we played mini soccer with teams switching in and out once we scored a goal and the girls organized a game of baseball. Both were fun and I went over to take a hit in between soccer games. I broke my toenail in the soccer game (not sure how). We then went to swim and I showed off my diving skills from this nice dock they have. My favorite is just a regualar dive but I also did a backflip and a front flip off the dock. I was also introduced to Mika ball at the lake as well. Its basically when you have the ball you have to peg someone and then you aren't it but its fun to play with a biggish group of people. I invented my own version of mika ball because it was getting boring where I make friends with the person who has the ball and get him to pass it to me and then I chase down the people close to me cause it already touched my hand. I also thought of playing it with two person teams so they could pass it and that seems more fun to me. Overall my beach and lake experiences were amazing we swam in a nice relatively clean lake (compared to Lakeport or Suchitoto) and I was met with great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment